NYC Trip Report, Part 2

I was going to post these in more or less chronological order but decided this needed to be said sooner. As you must know by now Super Storm Sandy devastated a huge portion of our continent last week. Many thousands of people lost their homes and businesses, and some their lives. I join the legions of those asking for you to help in any way you can. I found this article from the Christian Science Monitor that lists nine relief agencies that are on the scene in devastated areas that need your donation. Please give what you can. Oh, and there’s another nasty storm on track to land today (I’m writing this Wednesday morning) so get generous. They need us.

I wrote all that first because, truth told, our hurricane experience was so boring that you may not read to the end of this post.

Linda’s at the door of our 1894 brownstone inn in the Crown Heights neighborhood of Brooklyn.

Here’s how Sandy blew for us. I got an email from Virgin America on Sunday that our flight to SFO for Tuesday was cancelled in anticipation of the storm’s arrival. When I finally got through on the phone (a three-hour wait time was announced but it was only about an hour and half) they said it wasn’t cancelled. So we were breathing easier until official announcements that JFK would be closed and our flight was really and truly cancelled. Another hour on hold and we were able to rebook for Friday (assuming the airport would be open by then). Our inn was happy to extend our stay, we picked up a few easy-to-cook things at the local market and hunkered down for our first hurricane.

We live in Fort Bragg, California — a lovely little town on the northern coast. We get a couple of respectable storms every year with winds as high as 75 miles an hour. Turns out, Sandy, for us anyway, was not much different than one of those. The wind blew noisy gusts and some rain fell. But not that much. We were never without power, water, TV, internet or cell phone reception. Except for the lack of transportation it was business as usual as we kept up with friends, business, etc., in spite of the damage to the west of us and in the low-lying areas that got inundated by the storm surge. I told you this would be boring. We  walked the ‘hood a bit, ate some tasty Caribbean food, and Wednesday even ventured on foot to the Brooklyn Museum which we had pretty much to ourselves. Thursday we caught a cab to downtown Brooklyn, visited the very cool NYC Transit Museum and Brooklyn Bridge Park.

Brooklyn Bridge from the eponymous park. That’s Freedom Tower, left, in the distance.

We had arraigned for a ride to JFK when we extended our stay. Turned out to be a very good idea as our driver, planning ahead for us, saved enough gas for the trip (the lines for gasoline appeared infinitely long). We arrived home to unusually warm, sunny weather after an uneventful flight and drive.

I consider our trip to New York to be a rousing success. We accomplished all we set out to do and had to endure nothing more than some “enforced down time”. So many others in the area had, and are having, not such a great time. Let’s all do what we can to help them out.

Author: Ron Hock

Owner of HOCK TOOLS (.com) and author of "The Perfect Edge, the Ultimate Guide to Sharpening for Woodworkers"

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s